Search the Database

Kortright family

 
Abbott, John Howard, The Courtright (Kortright) Family, New York, NY: Tobias A. Wright, 1985, pp. 25-27, 30-31:
 
1 Jan Bastiaensen (Van Kortryk).
+3 Cornelis Jansen (Kortright), whose descendants composed the principal part of the late Kortright family of Harlem, was born at Beest, in Gelderland, Holland, in 1645, came out with his father, Jan Bastiaensen, in 1663, and in 1665, married Metje, daughter of Bastiaen Eleyessen, and the widow of Claes Teunisz Van Appeldorn, a lady who, after Jansen’s early death in 1689, proved her ability both to manage his business and enhance his estate, the use of which, under his will dated Feb. 25, of said year, (but not proved till March 18th, 1706), she was to enjoy till her death or re-marriage.
 
Having been a trooper, he gave his eldest son Johannes, “the best horse, and the best saddle, and the best boots, and the best pistols, and holsters, and carbines and cutlass.” He also left him, over and above his share of the estate, ” the lot of land at Jochem Pieters, to wit;—the lot by the great gate.” A notable transaction was Nicholas de Meyer’s sale Sept. 25th, 1669, of the two farms embraced in his patent, to the brothers Cornelis and Laurens Jansen, the first of whom being the ancestor of the Kortright family, or that branch afterwards known for its large landed possessions, of which this purchase formed the nucleus. The removal of Verveelen having left the village (Harlem) without an ordinary keeper, Cornelis Jansen Kortright, who was well liked in the town, and afterwards enjoyed various public trusts, was admitted June 2d, 1670, to keep the ordinary on the usual conditions—to make suitable provisions fon travellers, and not to sell any liquor to the Indians ; he thereupon accepted the oath. Cornelis and Laurens Jansen, having for a year worked the farm bought in partnership of Mr. De Meyer, agreed to part, as Laurens was about to lease the farm of Lubbert Gerritsen. The parties met for the purpose, Oct. 24th, 1670, and contracts were partly drawn, when they failed to agree. Cornelis having taken the De Meyer farm, Laurens on May 5th, 1671, gave him a lease of his part for four years, at the yearly rental of 400 guilders in grain. Their father, Jan Bastiaensen, and Rastiaen Eleyessen, the father-in-law of Cornelis, were present and subscribed this agreement.
 
Laurens went to Esopus and married, and is not found at Harlem for several years.
 
Cornelis Jansen Kortright was constable in 1672, overseer in 1674, and 1681, and commissioner of the town court Feb. 2d, 1686 and Nov. 1st, 1687. On November 7th, 1673, by a majority of votes cast by the town, he was chosen and confirmed Captain of the Night Watch, consisting of four companies or corporalships, as some of the English exasperated at the recovery of the country by the Dutch, began to make trouble.
 
He with others, was admitted to church membership at New Amsterdam, March 1st, 1673, and was a liberal supporter thereof.
 
On Feb. 6th, 1675, the Jansens, Cornelis and Laurens, completed a division of the lands bought of De Meyer, Cornelis taking the farm on Montagne’s Flat, lots 18, Jochem Pieters, and 15, Van Keulen’s Hook, and the two out-gardens. Laurens took lot 2, Jochem Pieter’s and lot 6, Van Kuelen’s Hook, with the two erven, and also the orchard occupying two north gardens. Laurens part being of most value, as it included the buildings, he agrees to give his brother 600 guilders. This property, as thus divided, composed the beginnings, respectively, of the Kortright and Low estates. An event locally interesting was Cornelis Jansen’s removal to his land on Montague’s Flat, since known as the Nutter Farm. On April 30th, 1684, he engaged Adrianus Westerhout to build him a house there, 22 by 36 feet, to be ready in six weeks, for which he agreed to pay 800 guilders in fat cattle, wheat and rye. Here Jansen established the famous tavern and stopping place, commonly called the Half-way House, and which continued to be kept after his death in 1689, by his widow. It stood on the west side of Harlem Lane, at the foot of the hill about 109th Street. A little above this site, Valentine Nutter, on getting possession of the Kortright farm after the Revolution, built a new residence, which remained till swept away by the opening of 6th Avenue, en which it stood, its north corner touching 110th Street.
 
On March 7th, 1686, Thomas Dongan, Captain-General and Governor of the Province of New York, granted a patent to the proprietors which confirmed the patent granted by the former Governor, Richard Nichols, October nth, 1667. On the list of patentees are named Cornells and Laurens Jansen ‘(Kortright), whose valuable franchises were secured to them, their heirs and successors, by the Dongan Patent, as it was professedly designed for quieting the freeholders and inhabitants in their ancient rights and privileges. The widow, from her husband, is usually called Metje Cornells, once Metje Jansen, and sometimes, from her father, Metje Bastiaens. As the lists show, she drew largely of the common lands in the Flat; in the deed dated March 21, 1701, “bounded by a line leading from the southwest corner of the kitchen as the fence runs, to a small brook till it meets with the old lots of Cornells Kortright, deceased.” In 1715, her family held 246 acres, of which Laurens Cornelissen held exclusively jy, and he and the other heirs jointly 169, which from 1715 to 1726, stood in the name of “Metje Cornells’ heirs.” The children of Cornells Jansen and Metje (Bastiaens) Kortright were Aefie, Johannes, Annetie, Maria and Laurens, all of whom were called Cornelissen.
 
+4 Hendrick Jansen (Kortright), came with his father, Jan, in 1663 and bought land near Stuyvesant’s Bouwery, Feb. 12th, 1669, but did not long hold it. He first styled himself Van Beest, but later in life from his father’s birth place, was called Hendrick Jansen Van Kortright, and in the church records, his name was usually written Hendrick Jansen. He and his brother Laurens, going to Esopus, both married there, Hendrick, on Dec. 14, 1672, to Catharine Hansen, “born in New York. She was probably a daughter of Hans Webber, “master at arms,” who died in 1649, and whose widow, Elsje Pieters van Hamburg, married in 1650, Matthys Capido, removed to Esopus, and was killed by the Indians in 1663.
 
On Sept. 28th, 1647, Hans Webber was appointed Captain at arms to the garrison at Fort Amsterdam, and on Sept. 1st, 1749, he was given power of attorney, by Anthony Barmoede, a Spaniard, to receive his share of the prize Tobasco. [Image of the original document with translation.]
 
Hendrick’s first child being born at Harlem, in 1674, he was probably then living there, but as before stated, he settled in Ulster County, buying land at Mombackus, town of Rochester, where he raised a large family who bore the name of Kortright or Cortright, and whose descendants have become numerous and widely scattered. Hendrick lost his wife in 1740, and he died in 1741, aged 93., their children being Jan, Hendrick, Cornells, Geertje, Arie, Antje, Laurens, Jacob, Jannetje, Peter, and Cathryn. John, Cornells, Lawrence and Peter Cortright subscribe for the minister at Rochester in 1717, and were leading men there.
 
-f-5 Laurens Jansen (Kortright), b. 1651, at Beest, Gelderland, Holland, and ancestor of the LOW family of Harlem, was the youngest son of Jan Bastiaensen (Van Kortryk), and came in 1663, with his parents. He married in 1672, Mary, dau. of Albert Heymans Roosa, and his wife, Wyntje Ariens, at Esopus. The Roosa family came from Herwynen, Gelderland, Holland, sailing in the Bonte-koe, April 15th, 1660, and went immediately to Esopus, where he and his wife united with the church of which two years after, he became an elder. Governor Stuyvesant giving a name to Wiltwick (Esopus), May 16th, 1661, appointed Roosa one of its first schepens. Here he took up land, for which he got a patent in 1664, and died in 1679, leaving a good estate, and eight surviving children. Laurens Jansen’s share of the De Meyer lands, bought jointly with his brother Cornells, laid the foundation of the ample estate he acquired at Harlem, but which, with his grandsons, passed out of the name. His election as an overseer in 1677, and repeatedly afterward, and the other responsible duties intrusted to him, evince the respect in which he was held. He died in 1727, probably at Harlem. His name was usually written in the church records as Louwerens Jansen, and following the established Dutch custom of the time, his children were called Louwe, afterward shortened to Low, which was adopted as the family name, by his children, and not the name of Kortright, which most of the other descendants did. His children were Annetie, Albert, Wyntie, Neeltie, John, Gysbert. Cornells, Belitie, and Lawrence. 6 Belitie (Isabella or Arabella) Jans was the youngest child and only daughter of Jan Bastiaensen, coming with her parents to Harlem in 1663, but as before stated, she, with her brother Hendrick removed to Esopus, where she m. Dec. 8th, 1678, Jacob Jansen Decker, she being 19 years of age, having been born in 1651. They had a large family of children, whose descendants were very numerous, and now scattered widely. 2 Michiel Bastiaensen (Van Kortright), issue:
-f-7 Reyer Michielsen, eldest son of Michiel Bastiaensen, was b. at Schoonrewoerd, Holland, in 1653, coming in 1663 with his parents; he m. April 15, 1686, Jacomyntje, dau. of Jan Tibout, settling at Fordham, where he took part in building the church, of which he was an active member. “A mortgage given by John Archer to Cornells Steenwyck, of New York, in 1676, gave him full title and possession of the Manor of Fordham, which passed under his will and by certain deeds, to the Dutch church of New York. In getting possession, the church met with great opposition from the town of Westchester. This led in 1688 to a forcible entry by the officers and friends of the church. Elijah Barton, engaged with his father, Roger Barton, to keep possession for and in behalf of the town of Westchester, when on July 16th, in the afternoon, there came a great company of men with Nicholas Bayard, of New York, demanding admittance. This being refused, Reyer Michiels and Teunis De Key, at Bayard’s word, broke open the door and the Bartons were ousted and roughly handled. With Bayard were also Nicholas Stuyvesant, Johannes Kip, Isaac Van Vleeck, Michiel Bastiaens and his wife, and sons Bastiaen, Reyer, Michiel, Hendrick Kiersen, and Jacques Tourneur. Also, “in the exployt” was Hannah (or Anna) Odell.
 
The Westchester authorities issued a warrant July 20th, “to take the bodies of the said Reyer Michiels, with the said complycetors”, but the church maintained its hold and the lands were ultimately sold. Reyer Michielsen died in 1733, having had children, Michiel, Reyer, Hendrick, Teunis, Hannah, Mary, Sarah, Jane, Jacomyntie, Johannes, some of whom being called Michiels and others Reyers. 8 Metje Michiels, b. in Holland, 1655, m. May 16, 1673, Hendrick Kiersen, son of Kier Wolters, and lived at Fordham. 9 Annetie Michiels, b. in Holland, in 1658, m. John Odell, who was the ancestor of the Fordham Odells.
 
-f-10 Bastiaen Michielsen, always so styled in the town books though in the church records usually called Bastiaen Kortright, came in 1663, with his parents, who lived at Harlem, afterward at Fordham. He was born at Schoonrewoerd in 1662, the second son of Michiel Bastiaensen, and did not remove to Fordham as did the others, but remained at Harlem, where on March 28th, 1689, he married Jolante, daughter of John and Maria (Vermilye) La Montagne. On Sept. 19th, 1701, he bought from Peter Van Oblinus a tract of land at Sherman’s Creek, laid out in 1691, as lot No. 20. This became the well-known Kortright farm, which continued in the family till 1786, consisting of forty-five acres and twenty perches.
 
Here Bastiaen Michielsen Kortright built and lived till very aged, at least his name in the tax list runs down to 1753. He also was the owner of two pieces of meadow at Kingbridge, the town giving him a deed Jan. 4th, 1700. His children were Michael, Johannes, Aefie and Rachel. 11 Aefie Michiels, youngest child of Michiel Bastiaensen, was b. at Harlem in 1665, and m. June 17, 1683, Jacques Tourneur, son of Daniel and Jacqueline Tourneur. They resided at Fordham.

Comments are closed.